fredag 17 april 2009

The fascination of a TV series...?

This blog assignment is somewhat tricky, since I do neither shun TV altogether, nor do I follow any TV series. But then, you may ask, why?

Firstly, there are many other things to do than to watch television, things often in a way providing more. For example, if you place yourself in front of your computer you can accomplish much more than what is possible in front of your television set where you can meekly take in what is being said (with the exception of teletext of course).

Secondly, it is easy to argue that the real world is as interesting as fiction, especially in the spring and summer when nature is awake. Since I have a botanical interest, the real world and nature is simply more attractive than made-up stories.

Besides, what are those highly adored series about? Aren’t they filled with intrigues, love, sex, drinking, smoking…? Compare that to a nice jogging trip in the wood listening to birds singing, seeing the sunlight dazzling down between the pines and spruces, or perhaps, in late summer perhaps gather bilberries and lingonberries. I remember that last year, a huge number of days when I did place myself in front of the television set, my eyes and attention was devoted to the great botanical encyclopaedia Nya Nordiska Floran (‘New Nordic Flora’).

However, I must admit that when I was young, I for a decade watched more or less every episode of Rederiet [‘the Shipping’]. It is perhaps hard to logically explain why, but I could perhaps simply say that I got stuck once I started, even though the affairs in the series became increasingly more artificial and excessive.

Another alternative to television is actually television itself, though in a modern form: watching afterwards via the Internet. This excellent service, free once you have scrupulously paid your license, has in many aspects replaced the VCR, making watching much more flexible.
Although many channels more or less only broadcast series or simplistic magazines, there are many interesting programmes as well, at least in the public service television. For example, a few weeks ago a programme about nature’s triumph in the radioactive Chernobyl area was broadcasted. I was simply mesmerised. However, a complication is that Swedish television tends to send the best programmes between six and seven p.m., a time I often prefer to spend in the wood. Therefore, the Internet or the VCR are undeniably gifts.

Summarising, there are many good alternatives to watching TV series: surfing the net, roaming in the wood, reading books … or as I do right now, writing a blog…

1 kommentar:

  1. Content: You answered the question in a little more different way than the other blog I read. This because you don’t watch TV that much!  You summarized it nice at the end and I liked that.
    Structure: the text had a good structure, you could follow it easily and didn’t get lost.
    Language: I’m not perfect at spelling, the opposite, but I think that your text had really good language and spelling. Good work!
    It was interesting to read some once point of view that doesn’t watch TV as much as I do! 
    //Lina

    SvaraRadera